I love ribbon and am a huge sucker for twill ribbon of any kind. I like it because it is soft and because it behaves (unlike its satin step-sister). Today I am going to show you how to make a super quick and easy market tote, requiring only the most basic sewing skills. This tote is perfect for your summer outings to your local farmer's market and would also make a lovely Mother's Day gift.
Market Tote Tutorial
Supplies needed: 1/2 yard 60" twill cotton fabric, 5 yards 1.5" organic striped cotton twill ribbon, buttons (optional)
PREP: Prewash fabric and ribbon. I knew this bag would eventually be washed, so I didn't want it to shrink and look weird after it was sewed. I put my ribbon in a small mesh laundry bag, washed cold and dried medium. It will look like a wreck when it comes out, but it irons nicely.
1. Cut a piece of 34"x18" fabric.
2. Hem the top of the bag by folding and ironing in the ends at 1/4" and then 1". Stitch the top and bottom of the hem.
3. Cut a 9"x9" piece of fabric for the pocket. Hem the top by folding and ironing 1/4" and then 1/2". Stitch. Fold the bottom 1/2" and press. Sew a piece of ribbon to the outside top of the pocket.
4. Pin pocket to bag, adding a piece of ribbon to the bottom of the pocket. Sew the sides and bottom of the pocket to the bag.
5. Starting in the middle, make your handles by pinning (like crazy) one continuous loop of ribbon around the bag. overlapping the pocket by 1/2". When you reach the top of the bag, measure 28" of ribbon and mark with a pin (arrow). Begin looping ribbon around the other side of the bag starting at the mark. Repeat when you get to the other side of the bag.
6. Sew the ribbon to the bag. Reinforce handles by stitching the tops of the handles with an X pattern.
7. With right sides together, stitch sides of bag together with 1/2" seam allowance. Reinforce seam with an additional stitch and zigzag stitch the edge to prevent fraying.
8. Embellish and decorate as desired!
For a quicker and easier bag, omit the pocket and flowers.
You can make this bag any size with any type of ribbon.
If you make a market tote of your own, we'd love to have you share it on the Ribbon Carousel Facebook page!