Have I got a fun and easy ribbon tutorial for you today! Once you make one bow tie, it is hard to stop!
Bow Tie Necklace Tutorial
1. Cut two lengths of 1.5" wide ribbon, one 8" long, the other 2". Seal ends with Fray Check (or other fray block) and let dry completely.
2. Fold in the sides of the short piece and press.
3. Fold the long piece, overlapping the ends by approx 1/2". Add a basting stitch down the middle.
4. Create an "M" fold in the center of the bow. Loosely stitch the "M" fold together. This will create nice pleats in the front of the bow.
5. Wrap short piece around the center of the bow, stitching together in the back. Gently secure the center piece to the back of the bow so it doesn't slide off. The bow is finished. Now you can do all sorts of fun things with it!
6. To make a long necklace, you will need two jump rings and a 24" chain.
6. To attach the chain, pierce the side of the bow, near the top, with a needle or paper piercer. Wiggle the piercer just a little to create a small hole.
7. Insert a jump ring into the hole and attach one end of a 24" piece of chain. Repeat on the other side of the bow.
And this is what the necklace should look like when you are done! Once you have the basics down, it is really easy to modify the design. Make a bigger or smaller bow, or a double bow. Ooooooh. The possibilities are endless!
Here are a couple of other ways you could use the bow tie as an accessory:
|Shorten the necklace and make it look like a tux bow.|
|Make a fun bow tie for a little man (or a big man)|
Thanks so much for coming by today!